Rear Wheel Bearings Replaced
- Hammer (second of trip) – discarded
- Big screwdriver – discarded (bent)
Bearings went from noisy but no play to, surprisingly, noisy with play. The load is so heavy, I worried they could actually collapse.
I did the work on a camposite after buying the second hammer of the trip and a big screwdriver to get the dust seals off. I wish I’d bought new dust seals because they bend when you prise them off.
I was very conscious of the noise because it took a lot of hammering to shift the buggers. Nonetheless, the only people that spoke to me came to make sure I had everything I needed. One guy even brought Helen and I a beer each. This is typical of Americans.
- Set of picks, as used by a locksmith or a scouser
- DOT 5 fluid
Front caliper seals replaced. Pistons so stuck I needed the hydraulics to squeeze them out… which is okay for the first one. To shift the others, I replaced the first piston, poured back in the crappy old fluid that I had cought in a pan (no new stuff to spare), and then brought all the pistons to the brink of falling out in a grown-up game of closer.
You can get the seals out with a terminal screwdriver but it’s better to have a set of picks. You then need to clear out all of the limescale from the seal seat; you can’t do this without something hook-shaped, hence the need for picks.
I used DOT 5 fluid. It doesn’t mix with the old stuff and it may rot the seals… I’ll just keep an eye on it.
Front master piston replaced. Cheap master cylinder off ebay came with a replacement piston for free. This really fills me full of confidence.
Utterly knackered now but at least there was a nice sunset.