Steering still notchy despite slapping in the spare (easy) top bearing I’ve been carrying the whole trip. Great people in Jackson, Mississippi, got me a close enough fit from a Toyota transfer box so I can change the lower bearing. Peanut butter is shown for scale. I’ve bought another hammer.
- Bearing changed in pouring rain; I felt a bit like Henry V.
- Chain tightened; it went about 20,000 miles without needing anything then fell to pieces all at once. I’ve now tightened it three times in the last few days and it finally feels okay.
- Horn wires broke so I’ve recrimped them. I also had a look at an exploded diagram and rearranged the horn and hanger to better reflect Triumph’s ideas instead of my own.
Tiger now rides well; notchy steering and a slack chain made it a bit depressing to ride. It’s also been surging but I’m hoping I’ve sorted that by doing a 30s reset.
I got another front brake master cylinder off eBay. The size this time? Back to the original 1/2″. Increasing the size of the master cylinder is a big mistake, don’t do it. Instead, replace the caliper seals and then, if you still have problems, consider Dot 5 brake fluid (but satisfy yourself that this is a good idea). There is a stamp on the reservoir saying Dot 3 or 4 only and the replacement caliper seals probably say something similar. I’m keeping an eye on things but my seals do not appear to be dissolving so far.
Changed the front brake pads in both calipers, too, and finally have pads for the rear. What with the two new tyres, Silver is going to be like a new bike.
I like to get the most out of my brake pads
A look back at this blog (it had to be useful for something) tells me I first started mentioning that I needed rear brake pads at 6,000 miles. Finally got them at 22,000 miles so it’s amazing how you can stretch things out when you need to.
I have no recollection of this, but it says here https://sawthingsclearer.com/2015/09/12/tiger-at-7000-miles/ that I changed one of the pads after Triumph sold me the wrong pair (one pad still fitted). This would be the pad on the right in the image above. Looks like it was a good call.
I was keen to try Michelin Anakee 3s for their ridiculous tread depth but, in the end, went for Bridgestone Battlewings (USD100 cheaper). Two new tyres at the same time in our household usually means we bought a new bike.
Summer riding gloves from Teknic finally fell to bits. They survived Thailand and Germany before this trip and had become so lived-in as to actually look a bit macabre. Replacements are a bit more Marlborough Man.
Lumpy tickover for a while and the odd backfire through the airbox. Sounded like a failed vacuum hose and indeed it was. I fashioned a repair by stealing a bit of the coolant reservoir overflow hose. Hardening and perishing of hoses is to be expected on a 12 year old bike.
Strange that people can spend their working lives fitting tyres and never wonder what the dot on the sidewall is there for.