Both front callipers have bent the outside brake pad. It’s clearly down to me not replacing everything correctly but I’ve srtipped and rebuilt these brakes a hundred times. I put it down to the change of rubbers (and pins) I did before last summer. The better fit of the new rubbers stops the carrier from retracting properly. Not a problem once the whole thing’s together and on the bike, but an obstacle to getting the thing on properly in the first place.
It’s here at last! NINE DAYS later than DHL said it would get here. The new one is stamped 5/8, the old one is 1/2. At first glance, this looks like a modest increase but it’s actually enormous and could be an overkill.
I’ve already bolted the thing to the handlebars, connected the brake light switch and transferred the mirror. None could be easier. If I swap one bolt over, there’s a good chance even the hand guard will survive the upgrade.
What I HAVEN’T done it to transfer the hydraulics. The double banjo bolt at the master is the old road-worn one that began life at the front-left calliper. I feel a titanium replacement fro Pro-bolt coming on.
Replaced still functional clutch cable because a new clutch cable feels like a whole new bike. I left the old one in place and cable-tied the new one to it. This means I have the old one as a spare, already in place.
Heated grips switch sitting happily before I force the GPS live onto the middle, blue connection, and wrap the GPS neutral around a handy bolt. This image is clearly just an aide memoire for myself.
I’ve rewired the GPS so that it picks up live & earth within the fairing, behind the clocks. It’s now on a switched live (from the heated grips switch) instead of being connected directly to the battery. This obviously stops the risk of flattening the battery by forgetting to remove the GPS but also tidies up the battery terminals that, prior to this, had GPS, tankbag and alarm wires added to them.
Wasn’t There Something About a New Brake Master Cylinder?
Actually yes. It was supposed to arrive on Saturday, today is Wednesday. DHL are rubbish.
Hmm. A year after resurrecting our Tiger 955i and riding it home to Berlin from the UK we are… a bit stuck for an MOT test certificate. Luckily it’s the Easter school holidays, all the marking’s done and we’ve got nothing better to do than ride the 2300km round trip to go and get one.
Tiger running well but I must check the new steering head bearings before it goes in for the test. I may need to bleed the brakes yet again, too.
Tiger 955i brakes are just rubbish. For last summer I changed the pad retaining pins and started using red grease instead of copperslip. Over winter they seized completely. For this trip I’ve changed the lines to a racing configuration (two lines from the master instead of a bridge between the calipers). It’s made bog all difference. For the big trip, I’ll change the disks to EBC floating and replace the pistons. I might have a go at the master cylinder, too.